Thursday, February 21, 2008

MYSTERY SOLVED: PBGV BREAKTHROUGH


THIS JUST IN: As of today, February 21st at 7:30 p.m. I have solved one of the greatest mysteries of AT LEAST the past 4 months. And THAT'S saying something. I shall tell you how it happened.

Around lunchtime this afternoon in my graphic design class my charming Venezuelan professor began speaking about her dog of choice, the PBGV. We thought perhaps we had misheard her (her accent can be quite thick), but when she wrote it on the board, we realized we had heard right: PBGV. She explained, "A PBGV is a rare breed of dog," (I hope you're imagining a musical South American roll of the tongue), "It's a Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (accentegu on the second "e" in Vendeen). It's name is Sammy Sosa."

WELL you can imagine how my ears perked up upon hearing the second word in the acronym. I could hardly contain myself. BASSET? You're teasing. But no, c'etais vrai. And so, lickety split I finished the day and ran to the nearest google imager to see just how much Basset a PBGV had in it. AND YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE WHAT I SAW.



The above pictured pup is, according to the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen (accentegu sur le deuxieme e) Club of America named so for the following attributes:

Petit: Small
Basset: Low to the Ground
Griffon: Rough Coated
Vendéen: Region in France Breed Originated

That all may be so, but there is one physical characteristic that is not listed that interests me tremendously. Do you see what I see? The answer to the Linnaean riddle that has boggled and goggled my mind for MONTHS. The terrier with the hound's eyes from the visit with the Great Uncle at the treasured nursing home. And now mystery and breed perversion in my mind has a name: the PBGV.

1 comment:

Rosie Bryan said...

Wow! I can't believe you stumbled upon that discovery Dorsey! I love reading about Ernie! He seems like a real gem!